Overview of Payment Methods for Foreign Visitors to China


Various convenient payment services are available to you during your stay in China.

I. Bank Card Payment

Cards issued in your home country/region can be accepted if logos of UnionPay, Visa, Mastercard and other payment organizations are displayed at the checkout counter. If not, please ask the cashier whether your card is accepted. If you hold a UnionPay card issued outside China's mainland, it can be accepted by any merchant POS terminal in China's mainland.

II. Cash Payment

If you want to pay in cash, there are two main ways to obtain RMB cash.

— Cash Withdrawal

You can withdraw RMB by your bank card at an ATM or CRS with corresponding international payment network logos. Cash withdrawal using UnionPay cards is supported by all ATMs and CRSs.

— Currency Exchange

If you need cash, you can also directly exchange at bank outlets with currency exchange signs, outlets of qualified financial institutions or self-service kiosks. Please consult the staff for currencies available.

III. Mobile Payment

You can enjoy convenient mobile payment with Alipay, Weixin Pay, UnionPay or your overseas e-wallets. Please call English Service Hotlines if you have any questions or need further information.

IV. E-CNY Payment

You can register on the e-CNY APP and open an e-CNY wallet using your overseas mobile phone numberand then top-up the wallet with your Visa or Mastercard before payment. If there is any remaining balance in the wallet, it can be transferred back to the overseas bank card.

V. Opening RMB Bank Account

You can open a RMB bank account at bank outlets with valid identification documents.

Valid identification documents include: Passport, Mainland Travel Permit for Hong Kong and Macao Resident, Mainland Travel Permit for Taiwan Resident, People’s Republic of China Foreigner’s Permanent Residence Card, Mainland Residence Permit for Hong Kong and Macao Resident, Mainland Residence Permit for Taiwan Resident, Exit and Entry Permit for Residents in Border Areas, and other identification documents required by laws and administrative regulations.

Copyright 2021 Foreign Affairs Office of Hainan Province. All rights reserved.


Copyright 2021 Foreign Affairs Office of Hainan Province.
All rights reserved.